When Home Comes To You

We just had the pleasure of hosting my parents for a week on de Rock.  They had the unfortunate task of helping me fly my cats to the island (because you can only have one cat per person on a plane!) But luckily our flights down were seamless, even with two stressed out cats (& a stressed out fur mom) and a hurricane in our path.

Our house in Pittsburgh was a work in progress, so it seemed like every time my parents came out there to visit they had a trunk load of power tools, and we burned the midnight oil updating bathrooms, building decks and landscaping the yard.  Because they literally put their blood, sweat, and tears into our old house it was our honor and privilege to have them here, where their only responsibility was to drink rum swizzles and lay on the beach (…after making them fly the cats down, ha).

I had so much fun showing my parents around the island that we now call home.  My dad and I spent hours snorkeling the fish filled coves and diving off cliffs (it was the first time I EVER dove off of the cliff – I normally stick to the safe ‘straight pin’ jump, but you can do scary stuff when your dad is around!) and mum and I had deep discussions on the beach about the meaning of life while Pink Floyd played in the background and our Hydroflasks held cranberry juice & goose.  We explored new parts of the island together, like the top of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and the awesome rubber trees in Southlands Park. But mostly I just enjoyed spending an entire week with my parents (and not having to share their attention with my sisters, haha kidding, mostly ;))


I know it is a blessing as an adult to have both parents still physically and mentally sound, AND for them to actually want to spend a week of their vacation time with us.  Abba & Chum, we had the best time hosting you and can’t wait to do it again! Thank you for all of the groceries(!) the laughs and the memories. Love you more!

Apparently one of my favorite photo spots (I make everyone take pics in the caves of Admiralty House Park)

Loving the beach at Cooper's Island

Exploring the many coves between Horsebay and Warwick Longbay

After our delicious dinner on the beach at Mickey's

Adoring the Unfinished Church in St George's (it is said that the church receives more visitors because it is unfinished than it would if it were completed... I can't help but to find that inspiring)

LOVING the snorkeling at tobacco bay

My Mumma<3 after our picnic on the beach

The observation deck at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Exploring Southlands Park - looks like a scene right out of Lost

My parents in front of our new house that they didn't have to help rebuild! hooray!

The cats, adjusting to their new place, they are doing jussst fine

My Papa and snorkel partner - checking out the underwater scene at Admiralty

Um, how cute are they?



Comments

Popular Posts